Unbeaten by the snow and opposition in a double draw at home


A frosty cold Saturday following a snowy week, only two home games played. All other games postponed and will be played at a later date.

Men’s 1s v West Derby 1-1 Draw

The men’s 1’s hosted West Derby on a cold Saturday afternoon.
Crewe started brightly with plenty of pressure on the West Derby final third without the final finishing touch. West Derby soon created chances of their own with Crewe goal keeper Matt Greasby keeping them at bay. 2 minutes before the break West Derby struck on a counter attack.
The 2nd half was a one sided affair with Crewe creating lots of chances through open play and penalty corners.
With minutes left Crewe decided to take keeper Matt Greasby off to add an extra attacking option, this move paid off with James Capper latching on to a Jonny Woodhart bullet of a pass to score his 3rd goal in 3 games. Final score Crewe 1 West Derby 1

Ladies 2s v Triton 1s 2-2 Draw

Glorious sunshine flooded the pitch as the L2s arrived to play Triton 1s; despite 80% of the clubs being postponed due to the weather.

Crewe stepped out positive and ready to try and secure a valuable 3 points. From first push back Triton put the pressure on Crewe with a few breakthroughs but the defensive line up of Katie Gibbs-Blythe, Kate Humphrey and Grace Newman worked tirelessly to hold Triton at bay. Despite amazing saves from GK Grace Leonard, Triton sneaked a scrappy goal within the first 15minutes.

Crewe didn’t let this phase them and were hot on Triton’s tail after a team effort to drive to ball through the midfield, with some great play from Helen Glanville and Morgan Zwinjen created in midfield resulting in the ball falling to the unstoppable Bev Jackson who fired the ball into the bottom right corner.

Despite the Crewe defence deflecting 2 out of 3 short corners, it was unfortunately not meant to be when the 3rd one clattered against the Crewe backboard. The half time whistle blew.

The second half began and Crewe really found their 6th gear! The next 35 minutes went by in the blink of an eye!

With the mention of ‘being 5’ on multiple occasions, Crewe kept pushing to try and keep the ball in the Triton half.

Crewe struggled to break through Tritons defence and it was very much end to end play, but some solid defending from Katie Gibbs-Blythe kept Triton at Bay. Nat Stevenson worked tirelessly on the left putting some precision balls across into the D but unfortunately Crewe couldn’t convert. However, Crewe did not give up and after some great interplay from Lucy Morriss and Mel Brooks saw a superb ball fall to the tenacious Shami Ahmed who battled with the keeper to slot the ball home, giving Crewe a much needed and deserved equalizer. Next week we travel to Alderley Edge 3s, following a draw in the previous meeting, the L2s will be hungry for points.